Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chelsea's Maternity Shoot

Well, I am posting these pictures with excitement mixed with confusion and frustration. The shoot it's self was a lot of fun! Chelsea was great and patient with me; and as you can see she is amazingly photogenic. She was sweet to offer for me to come back again before Jonah is born to practice some more; and after for a mother son shoot. Can't wait. Thanks Chels.

I tried to worked on my composition and poses. The frustration came with the editing. I still don't really know what I am doing in Photoshop Elements. So what you see is me just playing around and hoping I do something right. Although, through this trial and error, I think I am learning; bit by bit.

I did utilize the Elements Tutorial under the Help menu. There are several videos there that explain different features and tools. It was some help with navigating. I haven't made my way through them all yet. I hope to soon.

So here are the pictures. Any of you Pros and Amateurs out there please feel free to give me feedback. good bad and ugly...that's the only way I will learn and grow.

My Photography Journey Continues,
Kim




















































































































































































































































































































































































































































2 comments:

  1. practice makes perfect. keep doing stuff and experimenting with post-processing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you really did a terrific job on these. You're making great progress on your poses! I think my favorite is the one where she's holding the sonogram in front of her belly, but I also really like the ones of her in the grass.

    I think you're right that you weak point right now is in processing. The way you process your photos will be really start to come together when you've better grasped your own voice as a photographer. For example, if you look through the images on my website (http://www.petruzzo.com), you'll notice most of them are slightly 'over exposed'. They're usually fairly bright. Once I discovered what I was subconsciously aiming at, the processing part of things stopped being such a mystery. In fact, it usually almost does itself.

    If you're planning on shooting more and more, you might want to consider one of the image editing alternatives that's tailored more specifically for photographers. Adobe Lightroom and, if you use a Mac, Aperture, are both really excellent options. They let you compare images, make changes on the fly, and it doesn't require you to open and close images all the time. Plus, any changes you make are 'non-destructive', which just means that the original image is always intact, even after you save to to post on your blog or something.

    Just a few thoughts. I've really enjoyed following your exploration into the craft! :)

    ReplyDelete